Male mice can sing like humans, using high pitched love songs to woo females and even spice up their tunes to overcome any competition, a new study has found.
Researchers found the mice have certain brain features, somewhat similar to humans and song-learning birds, which they may use to change their sounds.
“We are claiming that mice have limited versions of the brain and behaviour traits for vocal learning that are found in humans for learning speech and in birds for learning song,” said Duke neurobiologist Erich Jarvis, who led the study. The discovery contradicts scientists’ 60-year-old assumption that mice do not have vocal learning traits at all.
“If we’re not wrong, these findings will be a big boost to scientists studying diseases like autism and anxiety disorders,” said Jarvis, a Howard Hughes Medical Institute investigator.
The research suggests the vocal communication pathways in mice brains are more similar to those in human brains than to sound-making circuits in the brains of chimpanzees and other non-human primates.
- Drug firms ‘inventing diseases’ Pharmaceutical firms are inventing diseases to sell more drugs, researchers have warned. Disease-mongering promotes non-existent diseases and exaggerates mild problems to boost profits, the Public ...
- How to Stop Worrying and Start Living Positively When an earthquake shakes the entrails of the oceans, then a tsunami rocks the waters above and devastates the topography of the earth near it. The best way to control a tsunami would thus be not a...
- Silent Screams In the darken hole you curl
Like a baby in the womb
No chance you can escape
From the confines of this tomb.
sound can reach your ears
light can touch your eyes
and every day you lie there
- just leave me alone for the first time in the last 4 months or so, i was awake till 6am.. doing nothing just listening to my music..
i dont change the songs often.. just load them up in winamp abt 400 or 500 at a t...
- 5 Things you didnt know about Praveen Its that time of the Year where i have been tagged by Steven and Jim Westergren
Not many actually know it, but i am very very bad at socializing. I have avoided many a family occasions, parties...
- In Praise of India – 30 Famous Quotations about India Will Durant, American historian: "India was the motherland of our race, and Sanskrit the mother of Europe's languages: she was the mother of our philosophy; mother, through the Arabs, of much of o...