Finally 2012 is upon us (almost) and we will know for sure whether we, humans, will exist at the end of the year or not. Prophecies and predictions apart, 2012 promises to be a exciting year with lots and lots of changes in store – some good and some bad and some that has the potential to become super bad.
Topping the Super Bad list would obviously be the scary end of human civilization conspiracy theory. But then again, we will know only around Dec 21st, 2012. So there is plenty of time to argue, debate and fight.
Looking back at 2011, it has been a fabulous year of sorts with highs and lows. Everything that has a happy ending always has something opposite. So here are some of the Highs and Lows of 2011 that happened in India and tried to shape/influence the average Indian Citizen.
Some of the Lows of 2011 in India
- the obvious choice would be the the insanely comical ignorance of Social Media by the UPA Government (aka) #Idiotkapilsibal
- Restriction of or at-least trying to Censor Internet and Free Speech.
- 2G Scam and mammoth proportion of it.
- Death of Sathya Sai Baba, MF Hussain and Steve Jobs.
- FDI dhamaka and the shortsightedness of our politicians – ruling and opposition.
- Japan’s earthquake/tsunami tragedy and Sikkim earthquake.
Some of the Highs of 2011 in India
- India winning the World Cup – this surely has to be the obvious choice. After 28 years of waiting, this is a dream come true.
- Rise of Anti-Politician and Rise of Anna Hazare – The people of India truly came alive after a frail old man took the fight to the parliament. Tired of corrupt, incompetent politicos year after year, election after election, the common man found a leader in Anna Hazare and truly made their frustrations known in one form or the other.
- Chennai are the Super Kings of IPL-4 for the 2nd time.
- Death of Osama Bin Laden.
- Arab revolution
- Rise of Amma and downfall of Appa as we prefer to call it down south!
- Prosecution of those accused in 2G scam – while this is not yet over at-least a step in the right direction has been taken. in 2012 we will know if this remains a high or becomes yet another low in our effort to fight corruption and crime.
In the meantime Wish you all a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.